Massage table headrests can be a bit tricky to get adjusted right. The last thing you want to happen is to have the face cradle slip down in the middle of a massage. To keep this from happening, it’s important to make sure the locking mechanism is tight and the cradle is securely held in place.
Depending on the design of your headrest, you may need to tighten or loosen the adjustment lever to find the right tension and tightness. The following instructions for adjusting your headrest apply specifically to OneTouch Massage face cradles and similar style headrests.
Attaching the Headrest to the Table
- Before you insert the face cradle into the attachment outlets, make sure the adjustment lever on your face cradle is the “unlocked” position (loose and in a freely moving position). This will ensure that the dowels slide easily into the attachment outlets. If the adjustment lever is tightened and locked down, the dowels will also be locked, reducing their amount of play and making it difficult to insert the dowels into the attachment outlets.
- Slide the dowels into the attachment outlets.
Adjusting the Locking Mechanism
Before you lock down the adjustment lever, it is important to test where the adjustment lever is set. This will minimize the potential for damage to your face cradle frame and reduce the chances of the headrest slipping down during use.
- To test where the adjustment lever is set, gently push down on the lever. If the lever does not lock down with this gentle pressure, turn the lever counterclockwise a few rotations while firmly applying pressure to the Allen head screw on the opposite side. This will loosen the lever. Then simply check the lever again for proper resistance.
- Repeat this process until the adjustment lever locks down with minimal pressure.
- After doing this, if you notice that the face cradle frame is loose while inserted into the attachment outlets, simply turn the adjustment lever clockwise while in the locked down position, until the frame feels solid. This will tighten the lever.
Adjusting the Headrest
You may need to adjust the face cradle position to compensate for the thickness of the face cradle pad and to customize it for your client’s needs. One technique that massage therapists use to customize the face cradle positioning for each client is described below:
- Loosen the adjustment lever.
- Ask the client to hold on to the sides of the face cradle frame.
- Then have the client adjust the cradle to the height and angle that feels comfortable to them.
- Lock the adjustment lever in place.
For more information, watch our video on How to Adjust a Face Cradle.